About Our Clinic
Vitality Unleashed Psychology is a warm and friendly private Clinical Psychology practice based in the heart of Bundall on the Gold Coast, operated and founded by Ashley Gilmour, Clinical Psychologist.
What does the name ‘Vitality Unleashed’ mean? Firstly it is important to understand what ‘Vitality’ means. We are beings made of energy. To have vitality means to have energy and life force within us in the areas of physical, mental, and emotional functioning. When we have physical vitality, we are full of physical wellbeing and strength; vigour. Oxygen is flowing through our bodies. This allows us to be able to perform our daily tasks at home and work, to play sport, to chase our kids around the park, to run up those stairs with the body moving with ease. To have mental vitality is is to have good cognitive function that allows us to have clear thinking, to concentrate on what we’re working on, to remember important things, to understand and solve problems, to deal with day to day issues with ease as they arise. Having emotional vitality is to be able to engage in positive thinking, to feel happiness, joy and gratitude, to feel in control over our emotions, to feel confident and worthy as a person. When we have physical, mental, and emotional vitality, we are able to deal with challenging situations with ease. It is when these aspects of our wellbeing are suffering that life becomes much more of a struggle.
So what does ‘Vitality Unleashed’ actually mean then? I am a strong believer in that when we have Vitality, we are aligned with who we really are – positive energy. We know we are aligned because we feel positive, happy, and vibrant. This is our true state of being and it is within us all. However, life circumstances happen to us from the moment we are born which have the potential to create blocks and limiting beliefs within us which affect our thoughts and behaviour, our relationships with people, make us feel anxious, depressed, affects our sleep, makes our energy dense where we feel heavy, and we cope in ways that are unhealthy for us. Thus, it is my desire to help you to work through and clear these blocks in order to Unleash the Vitality that is within you! Once we have Vitality, our true state of being, we are then able to achieve any goal that is our desire – there are no limits to what we can achieve in our life.. it is at this point of having Vitality that we then have the Freedom to Flourish! which every one of us deserves in order to live a fulfilling life.
Ashley Gilmour is a fully-qualified Clinical Psychologist, and the Founder & Principal of Vitality Unleashed Psychology. Ashley completed her 4 year undergraduate Bachelor of Psychology (Honours) & her 2 year post-graduate Master of Psychology (Clinical) degrees at James Cook University. Ashley then went on to complete her 2 year Clinical Psychology Registrar training program with South West HealthCare Adult Psychiatric Services. Over the course of her training and career in clinical psychology, Ashley has obtained a wide variety of experience working with children, teens, & adults experiencing a range presenting issues in a variety of settings.
Ashley’s approach is warm, understanding, and empathetic. She is also professional and respectful. Ashley approaches each of her client’s concerns as individual and takes the time to understand what is uniquely going on for each person she treats to guide how best to help them as quickly as possible. Ashley has a strong appreciation for, and interest in, the power of the human mind. Ashley also recognises that humans are highly powerful in that we have the medicine within ourselves to heal from and move through whatever challenges we may be facing. Ashley’s passion is to support people with psychological techniques to move through their emotional and psychological difficulties and into a space of happiness, empowerment, and wellbeing so that they can have the Freedom to Flourish.
Adult Mental Health – Public Sector:
Community Adult Mental Health Teams – Victoria & Townsville
Adult Acute Care Treatment Team – Victoria
- Assessment, diagnosis and treatment of adults experiencing major mental illness and personality disorder, including those whom are under the Mental Health Act
- Crisis assessment and management of adults experiencing acute presentation including suicidality and self-harm requiring immediate intervention 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, working alongside family, hospital staff, ambulance and police
Headspace – Gold Coast & Townsville
- Assessment, diagnosis and treatment to youth & young adults aged between 12-24 years of age are also often experiencing social issues also such as homelessness, family violence, education, unemployment etc.
JCU Psychology Clinic – Townsville
- Assessment, diagnosis and treatment of children through to older adults, including psychological therapy, and comprehensive neuropsychological assessment of neuropsychological/cognitive difficulties such as ADHD, memory and learning problems, alzheimers etc.
Research Worker in the Department of Psychiatry, James Cook University under the head of discipline, Professor Bernard Baune. This research primarily involved investigating into the highly fascinating area of research about the bi-directional link between cardiovascular diseases and depression. The following publications below were the result of this research:
Baune, BT., Stuart, M., Gilmour, A., et al. (2012). The relationship between subtypes of depression and cardiovascular disease: A systematic review of biological models. Translational Psychiatry. 2, e92, p.1-19.
Baune, BT., Stuart, M., Gilmour, A., et. al. (2012). Moderators of the relationship between depression and cardiovascular disorders: A systematic review. General Hospital Psychiatry. Vol 34(5), p. 478-492.
Research Worker in the Department of Psychology, James Cook University, under Dr. Anne Swinbourne. Research conducted within the area of Health Psychology investigating peoples’ sun-protective attitudes and behaviours to understand the psychology of how we can encourage people to use adequate sun protection, particularly within the North Queensland region were skin cancer prevalence in Townsville is one of the highest in the world.
PARTICULAR AREAS OF INTEREST
Ashley has a passion for helping people with all types of mental health and well-being issues. Particular areas of interest include:
- The Subconscious Mind: understanding the power of our subconscious beliefs and working with the subconscious mind to identify limiting beliefs formed in earlier years during times of particular experiences, and clearing these beliefs at the subconscious level to provide the client with the freedom to flourish in all aspects of their life.
- Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD)
- Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD)
- Generalised Anxiety Disorder (GAD)
- Depressive Disorders
- Borderline Personality Disorder
- Grief Therapy
- Sexual Abuse Therapy
Ashley has training and experience in utilising a wide variety of treatment modalities including:
- Cognitive-Behavioural Therapy (CBT)
- Dialectical Behaviour Therapy (DBT)
- Schema Therapy
- Mindfulness Therapy
- Acceptance & Commitment Therapy (ACT)
- Emotional Freedom Technique (EFT)
- Matrix Re-imprinting
- Motivational Interviewing