About Ashley – Clinical Psychologist & Founder
Ashley Gilmour is a fully qualified Clinical Psychologist with over 14 years of clinical experience, and has been the Founder & Principal of Vitality Unleashed Psychology since April 2013. Ashley completed her 4 years undergraduate Bachelor of Psychology (Honours) & her 2 years post-graduate Master of Psychology (Clinical) degrees at James Cook University. Ashley then went on to complete her 2-year Clinical Psychology Registrar training program with South West HealthCare Adult Psychiatric Services. Ashley has been a registered and practicing Psychologist since 2009. Throughout her training and career in clinical psychology, Ashley has obtained a wide variety of experience working with children, teens, & adults experiencing a range of presenting issues in a variety of settings.
Ashley has also trained to become an AHPRA Psychology Board-Approved Supervisor and Registrar Program Principal Supervisor – Clinical Psychology.
Ashley is also the NRL Club Aligned Clinical Psychologist for the Gold Coast Titans, and also services NRL as a whole, in addition to providing services to other professional clubs including the Gold Coast Suns, and Swimming Australia to address both mental health and performance related issues.
Ashley’s approach is warm, understanding, and empathetic. She is also professional and respectful. Ashley approaches each of her client’s concerns as an individual and takes the time to understand what is uniquely going on for each person she treats to guide how best to help them as quickly as possible. Ashley has a strong appreciation for, and interest in, the power of the human mind. Ashley also recognises that humans are highly powerful in that we have the medicine within ourselves to heal from and move through whatever challenges we may be facing. Ashley’s passion is to support people with psychological techniques to move through their emotional and psychological challenges to achieve their wellbeing goals.
Current consultation hours*
Monday: 9am – 4pm
Tuesday: 9am – 4pm
Wednesday: 9am – 4pm
Thursday: 9am – 4pm
* Additional consultation hours can be available upon request.
Vitality Unleashed Psychology:
Ashley has been operating and practising as a Clinical Psychologist within our private psychology practice since April 2013. Prior to this, Ashley has the following previous clinical and research experience as outlined below.
Adult Mental Health – Public Sector:
Community Adult Mental Health Teams – Victoria & Townsville
Adult Acute Care Treatment Team – Victoria
- Assessment, diagnosis, and treatment of adults experiencing major mental illness and personality disorder, including those who are under the Mental Health Act
- Crisis assessment and management of adults experiencing acute presentation including suicidality and self-harm requiring immediate intervention 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, working alongside family, hospital staff, ambulance, and police
Headspace – Gold Coast & Townsville
- Assessment, diagnosis, and treatment to youth & young adults aged between 12-24 years of age are often experiencing social issues also such as homelessness, family violence, education, unemployment, etc.
JCU Psychology Clinic – Townsville
- Assessment, diagnosis, and treatment of children through to older adults, including psychological therapy, and comprehensive neuropsychological assessment of neuropsychological/cognitive difficulties such as ADHD, memory and learning problems, Alzheimer’s, etc.
Research Worker in the Department of Psychiatry, James Cook University under the head of the discipline, Professor Bernard Baune. This research primarily involved investigating the highly fascinating area of research about the bi-directional link between cardiovascular diseases and depression. The following publications below were the result of this research:
Baune, BT., Stuart, M., Gilmour, A., et al. (2012). The relationship between subtypes of depression and cardiovascular disease: A systematic review of biological models. Translational Psychiatry. 2, e92, p.1-19.
Baune, BT., Stuart, M., Gilmour, A., et. al. (2012). Moderators of the relationship between depression and cardiovascular disorders: A systematic review. General Hospital Psychiatry. Vol 34(5), p. 478-492.
Research Worker in the Department of Psychology, James Cook University, under Dr. Anne Swinbourne. Research conducted within the area of Health Psychology investigating peoples’ sun-protective attitudes and behaviors to understand the psychology of how we can encourage people to use adequate sun protection, particularly within the North Queensland region where skin cancer prevalence in Townsville is one of the highest in the world.
Particular Areas of Interest
Ashley has a passion for helping people with all types of mental health and well-being issues. Particular areas of interest include:
- Trauma & Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD)
- Eating & Feeding Disorders (Anorexia Nervosa, Bulimia Nervosa, ARFID)
- Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD)
- Generalised Anxiety Disorder (GAD)
- Phobias (Social Phobia, Specific Phobia)
- Depressive Disorders
- Bipolar Disorders
- Borderline Personality Disorder
- Narcissistic Personality Disorder
- Grief Therapy
- Sexual Abuse Therapy
- Sports & Performance Psychology
Ashley has particular skills in assessing and diagnosing the above mental disorders, including a wide range of other conditions.
Ashley has training and experience in utilising a wide variety of treatment modalities for treating various mental health disorders and concerns including:
- Cognitive-Behavioural Therapy (CBT)
- Dialectical Behaviour Therapy (DBT)
- Schema Therapy
- Mindfulness Therapy
- Acceptance & Commitment Therapy (ACT)
- Motivational Interviewing
Ashley has a particular interest in understanding and utilising the power of the subconscious mind to reprocess trauma and limiting beliefs, and to enhance our performance in life.
Ashley was awarded the James McCallum Prize in Applied Psychology by James Cook University in 2009, which was awarded to the person ‘who in the opinion of the Head of the School made the greatest contribution to the area concerned with Applied Psychology’.
Memberships & Registrations
- Ashley is a fully-registered Psychologist with an approved endorsement in the area of ‘Clinical Psychology’ through AHPRA (Australian Health Practitioners Regulation Agency) – meaning that she is a ‘Clinical Psychologist’.
- Ashley is also a Fellow member of the Australian Psychological Society (APS)
- Ashley is a Fellow member of the APS College of Clinical Psychologists
- She is also a registered ACFED practitioner through the Australian Centre for Eating Disorders
Book your psychology appointment with our Gold Coast Clinical Psychologist, Ashley Gilmour today.
We welcome bookings via phone (07 5574 3888), email (firstname.lastname@example.org), and via online booking (click link).
Send us a message! We’d love to hear from you
We will respond to your enquiry during our reception hours Monday to Friday (Closed Public Holidays & Weekends).
At Vitality Unleashed Psychology, our patients’ experience is our priority.
We are happy to assist you with any questions or enquiries you may have, so contact us today! We will get back to you as soon as possible.